No Quarter

We wake in the middle of the forest
all silent
except the sound
of wildlife in the distance


The midnight sex
in tents

We became slowly aware
of our breath
in the cold

We felt safe
even though
we were in many ways

Alone


Pressed against each other like ghosts
in a grey midnight 1960's talk show
And sing by the fire
that grew so low
We sang songs
and told stories
and then went, one by one

to a place where we could be alone

Sometime before dawn
it rained
embers dying from red to black
winnowing into smoke and steam
the fire vanished into the night


The memories of our bond
a secret smile
we sometimes share
Best friends forever


And we've gone through life now,
you and I

The years strip away
the different awards
Medals

And we return
to the forest

If only in our minds.

I close my eyes
and feel the damp ground
my fingers pressed into
soft wet resistance

The moss
Leaves
Alive

You and I
If but for a moment
in between
the dawn and dark of night

I give you no quarter

I tear into you like a wolf

Your mouth
your hips
the curve of your breasts
A noble love

You smell the rain
and with it pain

red against white
white against green

Leaves falling
sleep comes strong

Pressed against your hair
Mouse brown
dyed red
soft
to sleep


Frisch weht der Wind
der heimat zu
Mein Irisch kind
wo weilest du?

Comments