What Am I to You?

I admit I don't know you
and I admit that you don't know me.

I'm out of shape.
I'm not as cool as your husband.
I'm not as cool as your girlfriend.


What am I to you?
A mormon?

A man on the street who wants to share his opinion?

Am I just another reason to pretend
That true love waits



Can you hear the sound
that the mother makes

Can you hear the sound
of my heart
as it breaks


Again and again and again
like a wave
upon a Californian shore


I admit that I don't know you
and I admit that you don't know me

But maybe where we are now
both of us
is a place that we can both feel free


To become who we need to be
Time enough
Space enough


To get things done.

I will return.

I know you are in love
with a city that is worth every feeling you throw at her

I know that you love
your children


I know you love your children
every one


I ask for permission
simply to be here

And maybe, once in a while
add a little fuel to a fire

of an old flame
that still burns.

A woman so beautiful
so sweet

She's worth learning new technique.
And skills.


So let's get it on.
You and I.

Because the least thing I could be for you
is a reason why

And why not?
I love you.
You love me.

And if you let me come over.
I can build a pretty dope tent fort in your living room.

P.S. I'm allowed to have sleepovers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You do know what it feels like. “What am I to you?” I’m asking that, as well. It’s rhetorical at this point, but still. Curious to see if you’re able to tell me/signal anything that isn’t hurtful in some way to me, in any format. And you know what? If you weren’t so goddamn mean and were nicer to me and shared more with me instead of all the lying, I would have been fucking *worshipping* you the whole time, including right now. Instead of this. Hey- if you treat people badly, then they get upset, bro.