Destiny - Zero 7

Comments

Laura Palmer said…


Bossy Marie & I both had some defending to do today. A few minutes ago, she was outside giving some choice words to one of the area stray cats who is Not on Her List for some reason & came too close to her front door. I broke the tension by opening the door, he promptly ran off, & she came inside with her tail all floofed out & raccoon-y.

Some wealthy dentist hired a team of 2 consultants to recruit an imagined paragon of multiple skills, abilities, creativity, talents, & expertise who would be willing to do all this for close to what McDonald’s pays. The dentist never talked directly to me, btw, this was all through the consultants. Before they revealed this ‘reasonable’ pay rate, I’d had to tell them my minimum salary requirement, why I left my last job, & answered a long list of essay questions, *after* submitting an extensive application & resume. One question said to ‘talk about my smile’ & if there was anything I’d like to improve about it, in a veiled attempt to prevent wasting time on someone they’d refer to as Lumbermouth out of earshot. In addition, they told me to print out another version of the same job application, specifically handwrite it in ink, then scan/send.

Ah ha ha ha- No.

The sound of a coffin lid slamming shut reverberated in the response email I sent. I knew I was about offend their sensibilities, but I didn’t want to work there & I was sick of their overly buoyant condescending tone with me. I decided to at least practice my negotiation skills. Women have been told for a while now to be Assertive, & stand up for our worth (but not too much). I remained Professional AF, but said I was having doubts about the job, the low pay, & asked about what the dentist thought a ‘competitive’ pay rate would be, instead of merely a ‘reasonable’ one. I pointed out the disparity between the exceedingly high esteem & crucial importance the employer placed on the job in the descriptions, & the low monetary value assigned to the person doing the job, after a year of widespread frontline labor strikes & ongoing income inequality problems. I also said I was curious about the reasoning behind requiring an extra handwritten application, & said if they wanted a handwriting sample, I’d be happy to give one if they asked.

One of the consultants got mightily offended indeed at what she saw as my mouthy, uppity back talk & sass, & laboriously composed the response of a 8th grade mean girl with a history of mediocre report cards. It’s…something. She said they’re putting my application “on hold”. ‘Kay. Then she told an art school graduate that at least this job wasn’t being taken by AI, knowing full well my education background & interest in art from all the essay questions. That wasn’t unintentional. She used a couple vocabulary words while trying to tell me it wasn’t my place to talk to her about the pay rate, then followed that with “(Gosh, I sound like an NPR announcer!)”

She was killed instantly.

No, she’s alive. Groping around looking for what used to be her face after I ripped it off & flung it somewhere, but she’s alive. : )
My tail’s still a little floofed out & raccoon-y. One thing I said was that her NPR remark seemed to show some discomfort with sounding like she knew what she was talking about. “Is there something inherently wrong with sounding intelligent or being articulate? Why would anyone try to avoid sounding intelligent in their work correspondence? I don’t know, but keep up the good work, I guess.” I wrapped it up after that but Jesus Christ. What we have here is a Trumpy bitch that doesn’t like it when an applicant’s smarter than she is, especially an artistic liberal ex-librarian who has no interest in kissing her ass for a job.

In other news, I’ve been notified my application for a spot in an Emory special collections library is currently being reviewed. Maybe visitors won’t threaten to punch me in the face there.

https://youtu.be/qjklfGi6aC0?si=XlKbEpB_VqYtXqZv

“Calm the bitch down”
Laura Palmer said…

Video Review Question


Question: “Approximately how long can a bitch go?”


Answer: “A lot depends on the bitch.”


True.✅









(16 times)



Laura Palmer said…


It took me a long time to arrive at the possibility that you might be reacting to their cruddy ‘Smile’ dental question, and feeling self-conscious. This is because I always loved looking at your face so much, smiling or not, that it didn’t occur to me that there was anything you had to be self-conscious about with your teeth in that story. I don’t see dental flaws in my memory of what you look like, and it was such a non-issue that I didn’t get it at all.

Another factor was that my phone screen isn’t that big- I don’t have a lap/desktop, and I don’t use the iPad much, so once I zoomed in close enough to see that Pokey’s eyelids were pointing down, that got me on the right track (?do I have it right?)

I remember now about how you were in a terrible accident a while back and had to have teeth replaced or fixed. It sounded like a long recovery process you had to go through, and I remember feeling bad for you having to go through that.

Yeah, those dental assholes fuckin sucked. Too many employers are so used to making jobseekers crawl around on the floor for them and jump through all their hoops, they think they can do anything to us. I’m not sure if what I experienced there was just an unprofessional dipshit or if that was illegal discriminatory hiring practices. That grown woman who wrote that shit to me was like some of the villains from “Romy & Michelle’s High School Reunion” (a great movie).

Speaking of high school, I still feel sad about Nex Benedict, who was more courageous than I was at their age.
My worst bullying was 5th-8th grade, and by the time I was in high school, I just didn’t ever go into the cafeteria or the bathrooms at school there, with 2 exceptions. I helped paint a mural in the cafeteria a couple afternoons, and worked on a senior APEnglish video project with a scene of me (playing Alice in Wonderland) talking to someone in the bathroom (a guy dressed up like The Caterpillar & wearing aviator sunglasses), while the Twin Peaks soundtrack tape played on a boombox off camera. It’s not the most impressive superhero power- “I can wait for hours to use the bathroom until I’m in a safe place- without any conscious effort!”

https://youtu.be/caFz1vHHEAw?si=jXmvA7vxQ_XLjcbW

https://youtu.be/1XrGxhD56rU?feature=shared

https://youtu.be/ulsOd4ORjzI?si=qvR_lq1xvPPZegdC

FFF livestream videos have been keeping me company a lot lately.