Lunch at My Desk

It was something you said
and how you said it
it burned into my memory
like a cold fire
I wanted to know more
so I stayed in the office
to have lunch at my desk
and surf the web

I remembered your words
even though we'd never met
they were drawn
like soft pencil on strathmore
in my mind's eye
You and I
went out against the sky
like a patient etherized
on tylenol 3 with codeine

The crunchy green pickle
and sandwich at my desk
and potato chips in a clear plastic bag
The cold water from a styrofoam cup
disappear
like the darkness that falls over night
on the cage of a hamster
with a pawprint on the water bottle

Man does not
live by bread alone
but by every word that comes
from God

As I write , an air raid siren sounds
early warning
if we ever get hit by a bomb
or a tornado
or a meteor
At least I'll know what's coming

A tasty lunch
But now
You have to find the last paw print

that's the third clue
And put it in your notebook
'cause they're whose clues?




And then we just sit down in our thinking chair and think
think
think

Comments