The District Sleeps Alone Tonight

Smeared black ink..
your palms are sweaty
and I'm barely listening
to last demands..
I'm staring at the asphalt
wondering what's buried underneath?


(where I am)

Wear my badge..
A vinyl sticker with big block letters
adhering to my chest
tells your new friends..
I am a visitor here
I am not permanent


Seems so out of context
in this gaudy apartment complex
A stranger with a doorkey
explaining that I'm just visiting


and I am finally seeing
that I was the one worth leaving


D.C. sleeps
alone tonight.
alone alone alone alone alone alone alone alone

Seems so out of context
In this gaudy apartment complex
A stranger with a doorkey
explaining I'm just visiting

I am finally seeing
why I was the one worth leaving

The district sleeps alone tonight -
after the bars turn out their lights
to send the autos swerving
into the loneliest evening


And I am finally seeing
why I was the one worth leaving.


Comments