Barrabas

After Christ died
I was arrested again
S.P.O.R.C

They sent me into the mines , where
I wrapped bandages around my eyes, because
the sulfur burns can make you blind
I only wanted to die
Endless darkness , but still alive

I won my freedom and found my way
To the catacombs of Rome

I didn't see Nero when the fire came - or hear the sound of violins
But they blamed the fire on Christian sedition
I tried to help, in my own way
I burned six buildings before they held me down

After they arrested me the third and final time
I learned that the Christians had never started the fire
they finally crucified me
And the darkness took me at last

And I drew in my last breath
For Christ

You know something?
All of heaven rejoiced that day

My mother was a whore
who cursed the day I was born
My life's work: murder, robbery, rape
Rum, sodomy , and the lash.
No wife. Children. I died alone on the cross

But somehow I made it
And now, here, in this endless grey
I live each day
working to be free
Yes they had a party in heaven

Hell was formally upset and sent me a letter saying so
To be honest, there was a time I would have taken the offer
They wrote, in their letter that I could have been a star

But what color? I thought. Black. To be certain.
Struggle taught me all about the dark
I remembered the mines
where I bandaged my eyes to keep from going blind
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans
I replied, thanks, but no thanks -
I am a good christian... Wednesdays. Fridays. Mondays. Sometimes Tuesdays..

And now I am living in the light
Oh, be a fine girl. Kiss me.
Really need sex.

Comments