A Prayer

Today is a day I will get some work done
in the blue hour just before dawn
faith comes like something over early morning radio
cool and narrow and hard to master
riff through the morning fear
This is the prayer

You see
I am
Living each day as if it were my last
I have some things to show for it all
Some things to be thankful for, yeah .
But so many things left, that must be done
Don't worry about me
Just like the movies
I play out my last scene

You get scared that you can't do it all on your own
Scared that there's not enough time
Scared of failure
The temptation is there like a dark winged bird
To settle for second
Half measures
or third

Dear God
Please let me do only what you want me to do
Move my hand
to write your word
My arm
to strike your enemy
My feet
to walk your path
My heart
To love your word
My soul
to bleed

You see, Lord, that is the eight ball
And this is me
I am not asking for a new Mercedes
Just empathy
humility
and love
I want to build up every life I touch
I want to tear down the walls that hold me inside

Help those who help themselves
light a single candle
let others curse the darkness
lets keep our priorities straight

In the still silent moments before the dawn
when all of the world is asleep
and the day has yet begun

Cool and narrow and hard to master
No atheists in a foxhole
Let me keep you first, family second, and work third
This is my prayer

Amen

Comments