Politics and the Art of the Possible

Alot of readers know me as a political blogger. I tend to support ideas that some have called progressive. Most of my writing in the political blogosphere has centered around the candidacies, or initiatives of people who are trying to reform American government to be more efficient, connected and modern.

Politically , I am a bona fide independent. I tend to see things in terms of issues rather than party or brand - and I am disinterested in the notion that being a "liberal" or a "conservative" is anything to be proud of. I am much more interested in the idea of whether or not something is truly working. Polio vaccinations , are a good example of a "liberal" policy that worked. And the great conservative Otto Van Bismarck was known for creating Social Security. Theodore Roosevelt conserved lands and helped stop the exploitation of the Forest. And John McCain stood against torture.

To me, politics is the art of the possible. I am very happy with this race, as two men that I consider having both been courageous enough to take chances with their career, are now competing for the presidency. Barack Obama has been known to side with the maverick right and the independent left on nearly every occasion. And McCain is roundly hated by the theocrats that have roundly thrashed our country these past 8 years, for the same reasons. Both men will engage in an honest, open debate about the issues.

Look for a political season this year like none you have ever seen. Two completely differing approaches to a problem, but both willing to take a chance and actually respond to the American people. McCain won his nomination , by and large, because he is willing to court independent voters such as myself. And Obama is heading towards the nomination (given that now there is no mathematical way that Clinton can win) with the support of organizations and voters who would not endorse the status quo. The pre-written, pre-approved town hall where you must register your question and sign a loyalty oath to the president is going to be a thing of the past. What is coming now, is quite possibly - a new era of politics in America.

I am looking forward to it.

Comments

M@ said…
In point of fact, there IS a mathematical way for Hillary Clinton to win--and it involves superdelagates, however untenable.

The only thing wrong w/ Clinton's health care plan is that she white.

It's a funny thing, the rules of these two private parties. Had the republicans competed under the democrats' rules, former governor Mitt Romney might have won the nomination. Had democrats competed under republican rules, Clinton would be leading in the pledged delegate count, having won the big states.

As unfair as the disenfrachisment of millions of voters in Florida and Michigan (which Obama would hae lost anyway), I will probably vote for him rather than Nader or McCain.

This "maverick" you speak of takes a hard line on war and economic issues, so I'm not sure I could support him. I'm undecided but leaning toward the black guy.
M@ said…
Oh, and I think most reasonable people are figuring out that caucuses aren't the best way to choose a candidate.

If you have to work or care for children or lead your life and can't afford to spend several hours hollerin' in some hall, you aren't counted.