Have you met Eli?

The last British wolf was killed in 1743. There are no wolves left on the Isle of Britain.

The last Bali tiger was killed in 1937. There are no tigers left in Indonesia and Bali.

Since the year 1500, 748 species have ended their existence here. In geological time this is an amazing rate of exinction.

The extinction rate on the planet is now at the highest level in recorded or geological history. This rate has spiked dramatically in the last 50 years. The only event ever to come close than this in the geological record was the K-T event. This event occurred 65.5 million years ago.

The last time an extinction rate was happening at the rate that it is happening right now. Was when this happened to our planet :

The last of one out of every two animals you see before you - excluding scavengers of human trash - will die in the next 93 years and you will never see them again. The current exinction rate projects 1 out of every two species will be gone by the year 2100.

To my readership, please understand it doesn't take me long to write some of these posts. And you know. I'm kind of slow but eventually I catch on. Please understand this is a blog that is really important to me. I don't write it for any one reader its more of a place where I can keep track of things that are going on in my head.

Comments