For Aesop in the Shadows

Beatrix Potter is a woman
by whom you can feel
the fear of the outside world
and the noise of the city
invading her and our world
and its destructive power to unfold
drawing us then safe to her garden
And letting us feel how wonderful it might have been

Beatrix Potter was wise
She wrote the story of the Town Mouse
As if to warn us
Beware lest you lose the substance
by grasping at the shadow

I wonder what must she have been like
A recluse, and only daughter
I wondered why did she write
the story of the city and country mouse
to Aesop in the Shadows

And if she was alive today
what her profile might say
on the kink forum
at craigslist.org

Comments

Laura Palmer said…





Did you visit that beautiful Beatrix Potter exhibit at the High? That was from the Victoria and Albert museum-

Experiencing that exhibit been an early highlight of this year. Although I’ve known her work all my life, she’s been a big hero of mine since I was in 7th or 8th grade. That’s when I read an ancient but pristine copy of Margaret Lane’s biography of her (checked out from the library, of course). All the old photographs were amazing, and something about her life resonated with me- rightly so, it turns out.


-I hope I can trust you again, love-